What is Mental Illness?
Mental Illness is a chemical imbalance. “Mental” in the brain; “Illness” is a disease or sickness.
- Bipolar Disorder
- Clinical Depression
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Mental Illness (Not Chemical Imbalance)
- Situational depression
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Anxiety Disorder
- Personality disorder
What is a Chemical Imbalance?
- A chemical imbalance is treated with medications.
- A non-chemical imbalance is treated with therapy and occasionally medications.
- A symptom is a departure from normal function or feeling which is noticed by a patient, reflecting the presence of an unusual state, or of a disease.
- An individual will have different signs of symptoms based on their disorder/mental illness.
Change your “mind set”
- Education, education, education.
- Do not segregate mental illness from other illnesses.
- Stigma is your opinion about yourself.
- Regarding mental illness as socially unacceptable.
Mental illness is real, it is not from poor parenting or the individuals fault.
Early Intervention – begins with knowledge and education.